Tuesday, March 8, 2005

Primitive Hooker new to blogging

Well hi! This is totally new (and foreign) to me, but I figure what the heck! I rather like the idea of journaling, and doing it online could be really fun! Now just to get used to doing it, and making it habit. Who was it that said if you do something for 7 days it becomes a habit? I guess I ought to introduce myself, and get over this initial hump of "where do I start" ?? My name is Brenis Thompson, and I am a folk artist, a mom of 3 beautiful children, and a wife to the most wonderful man around! I live in Colorado where the weather is unpredictable, but usually gorgeous year round with all 4 seasons, without going to the extremes in any - so the best of both worlds! :0) I have sewn and created since I was 7 years old, and that is when my passion began! Over the years my interests changed, and evolved into a love for primitives and antiques... and the types of things our fore fathers and mothers created. Making (very) primitive folkart dolls with gathered treasures of old... vintage linens and buttons, old keys, snaps and quilts. Staying focused on "doing it right" not just the quickest way, and making one of a kind dolls kept me challenged and fullfilled creatively for 12 years. And it was through that avenue that I tried many different things.. techniques, and embellishments that I stumbled upon needlepunch and rug hooking. LOL I yearned to learn rug hooking for several years before taking the plunge and deciding "I can do this!" and asking my husband to build me a frame!! Well it was definitely a learning process! haha! But the rest is history. From the first loop I pulled, I was HOOKED!! :0) There were soooo many possibilities with the art form, that I knew I wouldn't grow bored! I got excited about making rugs for my own home - something that over the years was never a motivator in my art. I own very few (4 or 5?) of the thousands of dolls that I have made! So this surprised me!! Well..... just like a young puppy dog, I jumped in full force without looking back! LOL And it has been a love affair ever since!! Primitive Rug Hooking is a form of self expression for me. An adventure in color, balance and texture. I LOVE it! I have been hooking for 4 years now, and I'm still striving to learn more, experience more, and try new things. New hooking designs that take root in my brain and end up on a piece of backing just begging to be hooked, excite me to no end. LOL I know it sounds silly!! But it's true!! (I know some of you reading this must be thinking.... "geez this woman needs to get a life!" haha!! But I DO have a life.... unfortunately a very busy one!) Anyway, I thought it might be neat to share my love of rug hooking with anyone that is interested! My obsession with wool and traditional wool hooked rugs led me to expand my business to focus on what I loved. My poor dolls have fallen by the wayside... very rarely getting any attention anymore! :0( You can see some of my dolls at www.heydidfolkart.homestead.com and my primitive hooked rugs and supplies at www.HeyDiddleWoolies.com Ok... well remember I said how Colorado weather was UNPREDICTABLE??? LOLOLOL Well.... 20 minutes ago, it was gorgeous outside.... about 50* or so..... no wind... a nice early spring day. Now... 20 minutes later.... the wind is GUSTING (i would take a guess and say about 70mph or more) and POOF it's SNOWING!!!! GO FIGURE!! :0P LOL....... weatherman said it would be in the high 60's today. Toooo funny!! Well, on that note I am going to sign off. I am looking forward to sharing and journaling on blogger. Hopefully I will keep up with it! Will try to post some pictures tomorrow if I can figure this darn thing out! Bright Blessings, Brenis :0)

No comments: